Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Hometown Fiction

During a recent promotion, one of Southampton's (yes, hampton, not haven) finest made some astute observations about the cover art for Cold as a Wedge. He was right on. The badge, the case, the gun- even the initials. It tickled the hell out of me. Why? Because I like the way police officers think. I like that no matter how long they've been at it, the good ones have still got it. Even my old man, out of the game for longer than I'd care to say, still has that eye, that spark. Those gears? Always turning. There's something fascinating, alluring and comforting about that sort of thing.

Cold as a Wedge has a basis in reality. While it's not "biographical", people, like the aforementioned lawman will no doubt pick up on the patches of truth in the pages. There's not only the glimpses of one's hometown, but of police work as it used to be. I might not have been cat'n around in the 70's, but the time period in the story most definitely draws me back to a different, more comfortable time.

I'm happy to say that readers outside of Bucks County have been enjoying the first book in the J.D. Reiter Mysteries and of course I'm pleased that locals are getting in on the action too!

Happy reading!

 K.H

No comments:

Post a Comment