Friday, January 10, 2014

Rewiring

One of my New Year's resolutions (how delightfully cliche, right?) was to read more. Whoa! Make that a double! Also, get back into working out (oh the humanity) and- get less wrapped up in the negatively charged bile that is found in abundance on social media. So like most of you, I'm sure, it's January 10th- a whopping 10 days into 2014 and I'm still at it. I've found it's been not only easy but enjoyable and the effects are evident.

As part of my new routine, I've taken to reading Small Graces by Kent Nerburn each day. It's perfect for the busy life- short passages with meaningful messages. Maybe not exactly what you would expect to find on my reading list given the shall we say... "colorfulness" of my writing style. But, aren't we all a little surprisingly varied? What I like about this particular book is directly in its title. Small Graces. In a life where quite frankly, it's incredibly easy to get swallowed up in the nonsense and bullshit of every day- it's refreshing to have a lifeline that draws you into a simplistic and healthy way of thinking that leaves you with a sense of, well, grace.

It's a little ungrateful of me to bash all social media. After all, it's the vehicle for my series but let's be honest- how many tweets or posts have you read in the last 24 hours that made you put on your disgusted face and quietly or not so quietly proclaim the author to be a complete asshole? It gets a little dicey out there, kids. So, find a refresh button. Mine is almost shamefully short uplifting literature and yoga (abbreviated as it may be). Find some grace, pass it on but remember how to find it again later.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter. Rare are my catty tweets, many are my promotions (sorry) and hopefully, I'll get you to crack a half smile now and again.

K.H

No comments:

Post a Comment